Addiction is a Family Illness
The Farley Center at Williamsburg Place recognizes that addiction affects the entire family. We offer the Family Program to assist family members and patients cope with the consequences of addiction.
The Family Program provides an interactive learning experience by exploring the following topics:
- the disease of addiction
- how addiction affects families
- co-dependency and enabling
- resources for recovery
- continuing care
- skills for effective communication
FAMILY PROGRAM WEEKEND SCHEDULE
Patients participate with their family members throughout the weekend.
Friday, 2:30 pm–5:00 pm
Sessions focus on the disease model of addiction and the impact addiction has on all members of the family.
Saturday, 9:00 am–5:00 pm
Sessions focus on:
- addiction’s impact on each member of the family
- working toward recovery as individuals and as a family
- building awareness of relationship changes in addiction and in recovery
- coming to terms with the losses felt as a result of addiction
- the continuing-care process and its implications for recovery of the family
Sunday, 9:00 am–2:30 pm
Sessions focus on effective communication.
FAMILY PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS:
- Family participants will have the opportunity to attend local 12-step meetings for both patient and family members on Saturday evening.
- Each family participant will receive an interactive family booklet designed to support continued recovery and personal growth. Additional supportive resources will be provided, including information about Al-Anon and other 12-step programs for family members.
- Family participants will leave equipped with recovery resources, information, and knowledge that will support their continued recovery.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Can I attend part of the program if I can't attend the whole weekend program?
Participation in the full Family Program is strongly encouraged. However, you may attend part of the program. If you plan to attend the Sunday session, we do require Saturday attendance.
2. Can our children attend the weekend program?
Children must be at least 14 years of age to participate in the Family Program. Childcare is not available.
3. How many times can a family member attend the Family Program Weekend?
Family members can attend multiple weekends for up to 6 months after the patient discharges from treatment.
4. How do I make plans to attend?
For more information or to register to attend a Family Program Weekend, please contact Katie Meier, the Family Program Coordinator, by phone at (757) 941-0629 or by email at email@example.com.
Family Program dates are filled on a first-come-first-served basis. If, for any reason, you are unable to attend after you are scheduled for a given weekend, please contact us as soon as possible.
“I am very glad that I came. I got a lot out of the program and
feel that it will help me with my interactions with my son.”
“I have learned so much this weekend and feel much more hopeful
for my daughter’s future. I am very thankful for this program.”
Families are encouraged to Like Us on the Farley Facebook page and join our community of support.